NORWALK, CT — With three confirmed deaths in Connecticut as a result of virus, the Norwalk Well being Division is providing suggestions to assist residents keep away from mosquito-borne Jap Equine Encephalitis (EEE).
“The Norwalk Well being Division is conscious of the current EEE-positive mosquito found in Stamford,” wrote well being division officers in a press release. “Current mosquitos trapped and examined in Norwalk on September 18 and 19 didn’t check constructive for EEE. The Well being Division stays in communication with Metropolis and State officers to observe the state of affairs.”
As a result of seasonal drop in temperature, the mosquito inhabitants is declining quickly all through the state, however officers nonetheless advocate that “the general public take the same old precautionary measures to guard themselves from mosquitoes and mosquito bites.”
The next are some tricks to keep away from getting bitten:
- Keep away from out of doors exercise at daybreak and nightfall when mosquitoes are most lively.
- Use insect repellent when exterior: When used as directed, Environmental Safety Company (EPA)-registered insect repellents are confirmed secure and efficient, even for pregnant and breastfeeding girls.
- Cowl up: Put on long-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants.
- Maintain mosquitoes exterior: Set up or restore window and door screens to maintain mosquitoes out of your private home.
- Clear mosquito breeding grounds: Drain stagnant, standing water round your private home in locations like outdated tires, birdbaths, wading swimming pools, rubbish can lids, and even cans in recycle bins. Maintain gutters and leaders freed from particles. Don’t depart swimming swimming pools uncovered with out chlorinating and filtering.
“The Well being Division’s mosquito administration program, designed to fight all mosquito-borne diseases, together with West Nile Virus and EEE, consists of working with state officers to observe the mosquito inhabitants, annual larviciding to assist management the mosquito inhabitants, and educating residents about the best way to defend themselves from mosquito bites,” officers stated.
For extra info:
- The Well being Division’s mosquito administration program:
- Details about mosquitoes, West Nile Virus, Jap Equine Encephalitis, and the state’s efforts to handle and monitor mosquitoes, go to
Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention details about Jap Equine Encephalitis: https://www.cdc.gov/easternequineencephalitis/
window.fbAsyncInit = perform() ;
(perform(d, s, id)(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));